Becoming a WWII Airfield
After the disastrous fire, which destroyed the entire front and south wing of the mansion, it was decided to demolish the ruins to reconstruct a smaller mansion. This mansion then became home to the Royal Air Force (RAF) in 1942, during World War II.
With a considerable amount of aircraft flying into the estate for storage, Brayton Park had many spectacular aircraft pass through. However, it was one of Britain’s best-loved aircraft’s which became Brayton’s most numerous resident, the Vickers Wellington, now cherished by our Wellington Lodge.
By the end of the war, these aircraft were quick to depart when their home officially closed in 1946. The estate was later purchased by Henry Ward from Wolsingham, County Durham in 1939. His son Robert Henry and his wife Lena then moved into the home farm.